Click the picture on the top right to download a PDF document of this road map. To download a slide-show about the basics click the bottom right picture.
How to Start a Neighborhood Watch Group in 5 Easy Steps
1. Recruit and Organize as many neighbors as possible
It is wonderful that you are taking the steps to start a Neighborhood Watch group in your neighborhood. The first step is talking to your fellow neighbors about starting a group.
2. Contact your local law enforcement agency and schedule a meeting
The next step is contacting your local law enforcement agency. Invite them to meet with your group at a time and place convenient for your Watch Group. It is essential for your group to work in collaboration with law enforcement because Neighborhood Watch is a cooperative effort.
3. Discuss community concerns and develop an action plan
If law enforcement is unavailable to come to the first meeting you might want to have a meeting to discuss the concerns and issues in the neighborhood. Your group should create a plan on how to work towards lessening the impact of the top 3 concerns of neighbors.
4. Create a communication plan
It is important to decide what type of communication will work for your watch group - meetings or social media or both.
5. Take Action: Hold Meetings and Events
Neighborhood Watch Toolkit has a number of wonderful training topics and meeting ideas that can be useful to your group.
What are some of the benefits of starting a Neighborhood Watch Group?
• Partnerships with Law Enforcement and your Neighbors
• Reduction in Crime
• A More Secure and Better Prepared Hometown
• A More United Community
• Improved Communications